Monday, June 09, 2008

Prince of Disappointment

I read last week that Disney Studios worried that they had released "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" at the wrong time of year, and that its disappointing box office takings reflected that decision.

Could it be that the whole film is a bit of a mess?

I saw it today, and while I went into the first film with fond memories of having read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" as a primary aged child, and also knowing how popular the whole series of novels have been over many decades, that first film had many moments of nostalgic delight - and SPFX CGI magic and awe - but "Caspian" seemed to lack heart.

The actor who played Prince Caspian seemed quite capable, little Lucy had a few cute moments, her siblings spent much of the movie with petulant looks on their faces, and there were some nice CGI FX - but I was over it before the war had even started.

I guess I'm no Narnian.

No comments: