Thursday, December 30, 2010

Late for dinner!

Late for dinner!

Despite the enormous watch and chain he wears around his neck, the Hasbro "Kooky Spooky" patriarch, Daddy Booregard, tries to explain to Grandma Macreak just why he's 40 years late for dinner. And he's brought a freeloading ring-in, Gilroy from Avon, with him.

The Kooky Spookys are glow-in-the-dark finger puppet toys, designed in 1968. As a kid, I really, really thought I was getting a Daddy Booregard for Easter 1970, after my brothers and I scored Kooky Spookys for Christmas 1969. (But thanks eBay! Daddy and Gilroy both arrived today, from different locales in the USA. Gilroy contains 1977-vintage "Care Deeply" lip balm.) Everyone still glows in the dark like the year they were made!

Reunited!
Grandma Macreak, Daddy Booregard, Brother Mortimer, Baby Spook'em.

Still missing in action: Mama Kaskit and Teena Terror.

Captain's Log: Supplemental. Okay, I always assumed that Daddy Booregard's unique look was supposed to suggest "Father Time", but in recent times we've had rap artist, Flavor Flav!

Flavor Flav
Flavor Flav

Yes, Daddy Booregard was trendsetting Flav's look way back in 1968. In one early design, Patti Peticolas had Daddy wearing a pocketwatch-sized timepiece around his neck, then she jumps to the huge clock design. I had no idea about Flav until we had a nerdy young guy turn up on a season of "Australian Idol", a few years ago, emulating the look. So bizarre.

Spooky Papa: Glowing Phantom Spookies;whiteGlowing Spooky Papa
Spooky Papa: Japanese packaging of the "Glowing Phantom Spookies"

My PhotoPeach slideshow about Kooky Spookys is HERE!

1 comment:

Therin of Andor said...

My Grandma Macreak's original glowing umbrella accessory eventually snapped on the handle during the 70s, but I was never impressed with it because it was only a half-umbrella, flat at the back.

My little brother's Baby Spook'em lost his "Boo"/"Help" reversible sign the same way, but having seen some preliminary sketches for "Betty Boo", as the character was originally called (we had no idea Spook'em was supposed to be female, despite obvious pink trim on the bonnet and nightshirt), I'm rather keen to make a little skull-topped "death rattle" from a plastic Halloween party favour. My local bargain shop was selling bags of little glowing skulls last Halloween.